Summer Energy Saving Tips
We all need air conditioning to stay comfortable during the soaring temperatures of summer. And, you can still stay cool while saving energy and money using our tips to prepare your home and maintain your air conditioning equipment.
- Because air conditioning works hard to remove moisture from the air and reduce humidity inside your home, program your thermostat to a slightly higher temperature, when not at home
- Minimize mid-day washing and drying of clothes, showering and cooking
- Turn on ventilating fans, but turn them off when not required so they don't extract cooled air from the house
- Set the temperature a little higher (around 78-80°F) to help save 6-8% of your cooling costs for each degree above 78° while remaining comfortable
- Shade your home from direct sunlight – use shades, drapes and awnings to block the sun from heating your home
On a related note, here are some tips, in the form of a handout, for staying safe out in the summer heat.