Here are some basic CO2 Do's and Don'ts:
- Do install a battery-operated CO detector on each floor of your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. Choose a model that can measure low levels of CO.
- Do have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced annually by a qualified technician. Even new furnaces are susceptible to damage and require regular maintenance.
- Do keep gas appliances, heaters, fireplaces, wood burning stoves, and barbeques in good working order and ventilate them outside the home.
- Don't run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
- Don’t burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
- Don’t heat your house with a gas oven.
- Don't use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.
- Do make sure wood burning stove doors fit tightly. Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
- Do seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.